Chocolate Belgian Cake
By: Chef Edward David Mateo| Photo by Michael Anthony Sagaran
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/4 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1/8 tsp salt
• 1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Prepare two 8-inch baking pans with parchment paper. Using the whisk attachment in your mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy.
2. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt; then add to the mixture alternate the buttermilk and vanilla, mix until light and creamy.
3. Spread the batter in a two baking pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes until risen and firm to touch. Cool for 1 hour. To assemble place 1st cake in a cake board then spread the ganache then put on top the second cake. Cover the cake with chocolate ganache.
FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE
• 500g dark premium Belgian chocolate, broken into pieces
• 250ml cream
In a sauce pan, let the cream simmer, be careful not to let it boil. Then add the chocolate. Mix well until smooth.