Moulinex and the French Baker Bring You ‘Easy Food Treats with Chef Baker Johnlu Koa’
ALL roads lead to SM Megamall today, July 24, 2015, as French appliance brand Moulinex and The French Baker stage Easy Food Treats with Chef Baker Johnlu Koa at the mall’s crowd-drawing Event Center on the Lower Ground Floor of Building A.
Held in celebration of French Month this July as the Filipinos’ way of joining the local French community in observing French Bastille Day, Easy Food Treats with Chef Baker Johnlu Koa showcases easy-to-prepare but delicious and impressive food treats as demonstrated by no less than The French Baker’s founder and president Johnlu Koa. He will be using readily available The French Baker breads and baked products to whip up great bites with the help of easy-to-use Moulinex small kitchen appliances, and will be engaging his audience in a hands-on cooking and baking experience as he picks members of the audience to join him on stage for every recipe that he will be demonstrating.
Chef Baker Johnlu Koa will be featuring six recipes in his cooking demonstration.
After welcoming guests and participants (a number of whom pre-registered via The French Baker and Moulinex’s websites), he gets the afternoon program rolling by presenting his first recipe, which is Chicken Liver Pate, a gourmet spread that is actually very easy to make but never fails to impress when you serve it on crostinis or toasted French bread. He processes the chicken liver into a smooth and delightful pate using Moulinex Food Processor, then he transforms a loaf of day-old French Baguette into crusty toasted bread slices with the help of a Moulinex Bread Toaster.
His second recipe is Cheese Quesadilla, a yummy Mexican-inspired three-cheese appetizer that is crunchy on the outside but gooey on the inside. He makes several variations using The French Baker’s Tortilla Wraps in Flour, Whole Wheat, Tomato Basil and Spinach flavor variants. For even grating of the cheese, he uses Moulinex Food Shredder; and to crunch up the tortilla wraps, he lightly grills them on an energy-efficient Krups Griddle.
Third on the list is Chorizo Pizza, which can be easily assembled with a French Baker Pizza Crust for a regular pizza and Tortilla Wraps for thin crust pizza. The Moulinex Food Shredder comes in handy again for even grating of the mozzarella cheese.
Chef Baker Johnlu Koa also shares his recipe of Fresh Mushroom Cream Pasta, which he serves with The French Baker’s Focaccia Pesto Garlic Slices lightly grilled on a Krups Panini Griddle.
He also whips up two flavor-packed but light and healthy sandwiches, Grilled Panini Spanish Sardines Sandwich and Vegetarian Sandwich, for his last two recipes. For the former, he slices The French Baker’s Panini Squares in half, spreads pesto sauce on the bottom half then tops it with fresh basil leaves, Spanish sardines and onion rings before covering it with the top half of the bread spread with a little mayonnaise. To add a crunchy finish to the sandwich, he presses down the Krups Panini Griddle on the sandwich to lightly grill it. For the latter, he turns to the flavorful and colorfulcombination of tomato and white cheese sliceswith fresh basil leaves and a little pesto sauce on The French Baker’s freshly baked Steak Roll. The Krups Griddle gives the breada delightful crunch.
The six pocket cooking demonstrations, participated in by lucky members of the audience, are dotted with raffle draws with lots of prizes at stake. The raffle prizes are like icing on the cake for everyone who turned out for the live cooking event and are going home with six new recipes which they got to sample, too!
Easy Food Treats with Chef Baker Johnlu Koa is brought to you by Moulinex and The French Baker in partnership with SM Megamall.
CHICKEN LIVER PATE
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup shallots, chopped in MOULINEX CHOPPER
- 500 grams chicken liver, cleaned
- 2 Tbsps. brandy
- 1 pc. FRENCH BAKER BAGUETTE
- extra melted butter
- Melt butter in a pan.
- Sauté shallots until slightly caramelized.
- Add chicken liver.
- Flambé with brandy.
- Toss just until chicken liver is cooked. Do not overcook.
- Transfer chicken liver mixture into a MOULINEX FOOD PROCESSOR and process until smooth.
- Brush ramekins lightly with melted butter.
- Pour chicken liver pate into prepared ramekins while still hot, then even out surface using a spatula.
- Cover top with a thin coat of melted butter.
- Chill for 3 to 4 hours.
- Cut FRENCH BAKER BAGUETTE diagonally, about half an inch in thickness. Rub surface with garlic, brush with olive oil and toast lightly in MOULINEX BREAD TOASTER.
- To serve, spread chicken liver pate generously over bruschetta.
- Top with chutney.
- 2 pcs. FRENCH BAKER TORTILLA WRAPS
- 15 grams mozzarella cheese, grated with MOULINEX SHREDDER
- 15 grams quick-melt cheese, grated with MOULINEX SHREDDER
- 15 grams cheddar cheese, grated with MOULINEX SHREDDER
- 5 grams pimiento, chopped in MOULINEX CHOPPER
- Combine all cheeses in a bowl, mix well, and spread on one tortilla.
- Sprinkle pimiento evenly on top.
- Cover with the other piece of tortilla.
- Set KRUPS PANINI GRIDDLE to No. 7. Toast quesadilla for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Cut into serving size and serve.
- 1 pc. FRENCH BAKER PIZZA CRUST
- 3 Tbsps. pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated with MOULINEX SHREDDER
- 60 grams chorizo, crumbled
- 6 to 8 pcs. green bell pepper strips
- 2 Tbsps. coarsely chopped Spanish onion
- chili flakes (optional)
- If pizza crust is frozen, thaw or partially toast on skillet.
- Spread pizza sauce on pizza crust.
- Sprinkle half of cheese evenly over the sauce.
- Top with crumbled chorizo.
- Spread out bell pepper strips and onion evenly on pizza.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Sprinkle with chili flakes if desired.
- Toast in hot pan over medium heat, covering the top with a lid to keep the heat in the pan and around the pizza.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese melts, making sure not to over toast the crust.
- Cut into serving pieces and serve.
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsps. red onion, chopped
- 50 grams sliced button mushrooms
- 50 grams sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cream
- 1 kg. cooked pasta
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- FRENCH BAKER PESTO GARLIC STICKS
- In a hot pan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add mushrooms one by one.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in chicken broth, and simmer for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Add cream over low heat.
- Toss in cooked pasta.
- Add chopped parsley.
- Plate and serve with FRENCH BAKER PESTO GARLIC STICKS that have been grilled in KRUPS PANINI GRIDDLE.
GRILLED PANINI SPANISH SARDINES SANDWICH
- 1 pc. FRENCH BAKER PANINI SQUARE
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. pesto sauce
- 6 pcs. Spanish sardines
- 6 pcs. fresh basil leaves
- 6 to 8 pcs. onion rings
- freshly ground pepper
- rock salt
- Cut the FRENCH BAKER PANINI SQUARE into half.
- Spread pesto sauce on the bottom half of the panini and mayonnaise on the top half of the bread.
- Layer bottom half of the panini with basil leaves then sardines and onion rings.
- Cover with the top half of the bread and toast in a KRUPS PANINI GRIDDLE for 2 to 3 minutes or until burnt marks are visible.
- Cut diagonally, transfer to a plate, and serve.
- 1 pc. FRENCH BAKER FRESHLY BAKED STEAK ROLL
- 1 Tbsp. pesto sauce
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 3 to 4 slices white cheese
- 3 to 4 slices salad tomato
- 4 to 6 pcs. basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsps. red balsamic cream
- Warm the steak roll.
- Cut the bread in half, lengthwise.
- Spread pesto sauce on bottom half of the bread and butter on the top half of the steak roll.
- Layer bottom half of the bread with white cheese, tomato slices and basil leaves.
- Drizzle with olive oil and red balsamic cream, cover with top half of the bread, and serve.