Baking with the seasons
Ideally, we should all cook and bake with ingredients that are sourced locally and in season. Using seasonal produce when cooking and baking ensures less impact on the environment (transporting goods) and just as importantly, enjoying produce at their peak.
Here in Laguna, I often see stalls by the highway selling seasonal fruits.The best part about this is that right behind or near the stalls, you can sometimes see the fruit trees where these goodies come from. The fruits change with the seasons—from mangoes to rambutan, langka to lansones. And whenever certainfruits are plentiful, you’d see stalls one after the other selling them.One of the fruits currently in season are avocados. These rich, creamy fruits are perfect for a variety of recipes or eaten as is. For my recipe this month,I am incorporating avocados in my no-bake cheesecake.This Avocado Cheesecake is simple, easy to make and is a definite crowd-pleaser.
Avocado No-bake Cheesecake
Serves for 8 ; Preparation Time 30 minutes; Chilling Time 3-hour;
- 3/4 cup mashed avocado
- 3/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp gelatin powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- whipped cream
- Add lemon juice to mashed avocado to prevent discoloration. Mix well.
- In a bowl, combine crushed graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar.
- Press the mixture into an 8-inch springform pan. Refrigerate to set.
- In a cup, combine warm water with gelatin powder. Set aside.
- Place cream cheese, sour cream, mashed avocado, and powdered sugar in a mixer with the paddle whip attached.
- Mix the ingredients on low to combine then add gelatin mixture.
- Continue mixing for another minute then turn the mixer off.
- Pour mixture into the pan with the graham crust, tap pan on the work surface to remove any bubbles, and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.
- Once the cheesecake has set, dip a knife in some hot water and run it through the edge of the springform pan.
- Release the clip to unmold the cheesecake and decorate by piping whipped cream on top.