TikTok celebrates Valentine’s day by launching the #BeCyberSmart global tool kit
Manila, Philippines – February 11, 2022 – TikTok, the leading destination for short-form mobile video, is excited to celebrate this year’s Valentine’s Day. With more than 225B video views about #love, the world is buzzing with feelings this season. As more people turn online to find companionship, TikTok is committed to educating our community about the dangers of cybercriminals posing as a potential love interest online. Follow these security tips:
- Take it slow – Ask questions and pay attention to inconsistencies that might reveal your online romantic interest is an impostor.
- Do your homework – Conduct a reverse image search of your online partner’s profile photo (you can use images.google.com). If the results show the same profile photo on another site or with a different name attached, a scammer may have stolen it.
- Don’t play games – Don’t give away too much personal information to someone you only know online, and be extra cautious of people who make repeated attempts to meet up with you in person.
- Never show ’em the money – You should never send payment or agree to accept money from someone you’ve only met online or by phone.
- Listen to your heart, follow your head – If something seems amiss or you suspect someone you met online isn’t who they say they are, cut off all contact immediately and report to the relevant authorities.