The Milky Way
During the searing heat of this season, thoughts turn to more refreshing desserts. Surely you’ve been bingeing on halo-halo, saba con hielo, mais con hielo, guinumis, and other varieties of shaved ices from all over. If you love custards, then a lighter panna cotta may be more welcome in this weather. I concocted an avocado panna cotta because not only does it impart imparts a delightful flavour, the velvety textures make this creamy dessert more indulgent.
Nothing could be simpler than a dessert of coconut tapioca pearls, but it does not stint on deliciousness. Few can rival the joy of chewing on silky coconut milky pearls, which is why this quick dessert goes a really long way.
Avocado Panna Cotta
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin powder
- 2 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup avocado
- Combine gelatin powder and1/2 cup of milk let let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine the rest of the milk, cream, sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Bring to a boil for about 1 minute. Add Gelatin mixture and whisk until dissolved.
- Strain and transfer to a large bowl. Cool in an ice bath, stirring occasionally to prevent the mixture from setting, but still allowing it to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- In a blender, puree the avocado until smooth. Add half of the cream mixture and puree again until smooth. Add the avocado mixture to the remaining cream mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour into 6 ramekins. Chill for 2 hours or until set. Serve cold.
- 1 cup Tapioca pearls (medium)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 can Evaporated milk
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large mixing bowl, soak tapioca pearls with cold water for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- In a saucepan, combine milk, evaporated milk, coconut milk, sugar and salt.
- Drain tapioca and mix into the milk mixture. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat and simmer. Stir constantly for 10 minutes or until tapioca pearls become clear and glossy.
- To serve, pour into individual cups or a large bowl. Refrigerate.
- Place slices of ripe mango on top right before serving.