And I Would Do Anything for Meatloaf
Growing up, my mom was a full-time working mom. She really didn’t have time to prepare extensive meals for us as kids. Normally, I will get the meat out from the refrigerator so she can cook it when she gets home. One of her go-to dishes was meatloaf, and until this day, it is still one of my go-to comfort food that I always ask my mom to make for me.
For this month, I recreated my mom’s meatloaf recipe and tweaked it a little bit to suit the flavor profile that I like. This goes well with steamed rice, French fries, mashed or roasted potatoes, buttered corn, and frozen peas. Tell me how you like this dish; hit me up or follow me on Facebook (Chef Bruce Lim) and Instagram (@chef_bruce_lim). Enjoy!
|Prep Time 15 minutes
|Cooking Time 1 hour
- 800g ground beef (lean)
- 200g ground pork
- 100g onions, diced
- 20g butter (unsalted)
- 2 pcs egg, beaten
- 7g salt
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 3 pcs stale bread
- 80g whole milk
- 100g ketchup
- 50g brown sugar
- 5g American mustard
- Using your hands, break the bread apart into big chunks and soak it with milk and beaten eggs. Chill until ready to use.
- In a small pan, add the butter and saute the onions over low to medium heat until fully cooked. This might take about 6 minutes. Remove from heat then completely cool the mixture.
- In a large metal bowl, add the ground beef and ground pork, salt and pepper, American mustard and tabasco sauce. Add the bread, egg and milk mixture then give it a good mix. Don’t over mix it, make sure you can still see chunks of bread but its evenly incorporated.
- Place the mixture on to a baking pan then form it into a log. Place it inside a preheated oven (170˚C) and bake it for 15 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven, drain out the liquid.
- Make the topping by mixing the brown sugar, ketchup and mustard together. Once the brown sugar has dissolved cover the meatloaf with sauce, about a centimeter thick, then place it back into the oven and cook it until the internal temperature reaches 68˚C. Remove it from the oven, let it rest for about 10 minutes before you slice it.
- Cut 2 slices and serve it with mashed potatoes and buttered corn.